ExpressJet’s Airline Pilot Pathway Program, more commonly known as AP3, provides a clear path for students from our partner schools to the right seat at ExpressJet. More than 600 students are now part of AP3, so we wanted to take a minute to share answers to a few common questions about the program:
What is AP3?
The Airline Pilot Pathway Program, AP3, is a partnership between ExpressJet, select flight schools and universities, and students in the program. At its core, AP3 is a mentorship-based educational program that gives students a highly structured path through school, building hours as a CFI, to a career at ExpressJet.
What are the benefits?
In addition to an early interview that leads to a conditional job offer (CJO) and guaranteed job after program completion, students are assigned a mentor, an ExpressJet EPIC Ambassador who is a current pilot that can help answer questions, offer advice and be a resource for the student.
If I join AP3, do I have to go to ExpressJet?
Nope. We offer desirable bases, industry-leading training and great work rules, but sometimes ExpressJet isn’t the right fit. We understand that, and we’re here to help you make the best decision for YOU, even if it’s not us.
What does the AP3 path look like?
Each school’s agreement is slightly different, but in general here’s the path you can expect:
- Join AP3 (any time from freshman year to CFI)
- Complete AP3 testing after earning your instrument rating (our new hire pilot interview) and receive a conditional job offer (CJO)
- Maintain good grades and a clean record
- Gain experience as a CFI to meet your ATP or R-ATP required hours (remember, you’ll gain 40+ hours in training, so it can actually be a bit less)
- Work with your EPIC mentor to help make the smart choice for YOUR future
- Complete an application at expressjet.com/apply when you’re within six months of reaching your ATP or R-ATP minimums
- Select a date to start your ATP CTP class, paid for by ExpressJet, then start new hire training at ExpressJet (all training is paid)
- Fly passengers as an ExpressJet first officer!
What is a CJO?
A CJO, or conditional job offer, means you’ve passed the AP3 version of our new hire interview (congrats!). As long as you complete all the other requirements of the program, like keeping your nose clean, keeping your grades up, earning your hours and gaining experience as a CFI, you’re guaranteed a job at ExpressJet when you’re ready to start. And you don’t even have to complete another interview.
What is an EPIC Ambassador/Mentor?
EPIC (ExpressJet Pilots Inspiring Careers) Ambassadors are current ExpressJet pilots who volunteer their time to mentor AP3 students. Each student is assigned a mentor when they join AP3. Your mentor will reach out to you periodically, and we encourage you to use them as a resource. They’re there to answer questions, offer advice and be a contact for you in the industry. Remember, they’ve all been in your shoes – usually at your school!
What schools participate?
We partner with more than 50 top universities and flight schools. You can find the full list at expressjet.com/ap3.
What’s the catch?
There is no catch! Our motto in recruiting is “educate, engage, empower” and AP3 helps us fulfill those goals. It costs nothing to sign up, you’re not required to come to ExpressJet, and you get a leg up on your career.
How do I sign up?
If you’re in the aviation program at a partner university, click here to register to become part of the AP3 program.
Feel free to email me, Peter Ryan, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Captain Joey Cook, email@example.com, with any questions about AP3.